a.k.a Taayri in sindhi, this is a quick and easy recipe to make. Thanks to my sis for teaching me how to make this.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron or saffron color
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Chopped almonds (optional)
- Wash the rice and cook it in a large pot of water until half-cooked. Drain and wash the rice to remove the starch.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar and water and cook just till the sugar dissolves. Let it boil once and turn off the heat. Add in the saffron color ( or saffron dissolved in milk) and cardamom powder.
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt 1/2 tablespoon ghee. Layer half of the rice and top it with half of the sugar syrup and some chopped almonds. Top it with another layer of rice and syrup.
- Add in the remaining ghee, cover and cook on low heat till the rice is fully cooked, about 30 mins.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and serve hot.