- 3 bunches Spinach, washed well and chopped
- 200 gms Toor dal, soaked for about 15-30 min
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Green chilly, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilly powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Haldi
- 2-3 pods of Garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind
- 1 tablespoon oil + 1 tablepoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Urid dal
- 2-3 Whole red chilly
- A few curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1/2 teaspoon rai
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/8 teaspoon hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash dal and put in cooker. Add sufficient water to cover the dal.
- Add chopped spinach, tomatoes, onins, green chilly, tamarind, chilly pwd, haldi - close and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Mix well and smash everything together with a heavy ladle. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- For tempering:- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add rai, jeera, urid dal, chana dal and whole red chilly and fry till rai splutters.
- Add crushed garlic, curry leaves and hing and fry for a minute.
- Now add the spinach and dal mix to it. Mix well.
- Serve hot with white rice or chapati