- 1 kg chicken parts or meaty bones, such as backs and necks
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 medium onion, diced (abt 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 carrot, diced (abt 1/4 cup)
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2-3 whole black peppercorns
- 1-2 parsley stems
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Place the chicken and water in a large pot, (water should cover the chicken by atleast 2"). Bring the water slowly to a boil over medium heat.
- As the water comes to a boil, skim any foam that rises to the surface. Once it boils, simmer. Cover partially and simmer for 2 hrs. Skim as often as needed.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Continue to simmer, skimming as needed, until the broth is fully flavored, abt 1 hr.
- Remove the chicken, cool and shred the meat. Reserve to garnish or save for another use.
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve into a large metal container. Discard the solids.
- To store - cool broth quickly by placing the container in a sink filled with ice-cold water. Stir as it cools and then transfer it to a storage containers.
- Store in refrigerator for 5 days or 3 months in the freezer. Label and date the containters clearly before putting them into the freezer.