- 2 cups Noodles (I use the Hakka noodles, but you can use any variety you like)
- 1/2 cup of chicken( cut into small bits) or shrimp (avoid this to make the dish vegetarian :) )
- 2 Eggs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar (or tamarind juice)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (this adds a li'l sweet to the sour taste :) )
- 1 cup bean sprouts, for garnish
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely ground, for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil about 4 cups of water in a large vessel. Add salt and noodles. Keep on medium flame till the noodles are cooked completely (I always take a small bite to ensure that the noodles are cooked well :) ). Drain out the water. Wash the noodles in running cold water till all the stickiness is out. Drain and keep aside.
- Take a wok, add oil and heat. Add the eggs, sal tnad pepper to taste and stir till the eggs are cooked to prepare scrambled eggs. Remove and keep aside.
- In the wok add oil and add garlic and onions and stir fry till onions are transparent.
- Add the chicken/shrimp and stir fry till cooked.
- Add the noodles and stir to mix well.
- Add sugar, vinegar/tamarind juice, soya sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Mix in the bean sprouts and spring onions.
- Transfer this to the serving dish and garnish with ground, roasted peanuts.
- Serve hot.
Tip:- You can add in some boiled veggies like beans, carrot, peas in step 4.