Serve it with garlic bread to create a complete meal!!!
- 1/2 cup Red kidney beans (rajma), soaked over-night
- 1/2 cup Black eyed peas, soaked for 4-5 hours
- 1/2 cup Whole green gram (moong), soaked for 4-5 hours
- 2 cups mixed vegetables of your choice (I use beans, carrots, peas, corn, cabbage)
- 3-4 mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste ( or you can use 2 tomatoes, pureed)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej patta)
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (optional)
- 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Black pepper and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook the Rajma, Black eyed peas and Moong separately until ready and discard the water.
- Pressure cook the mix vegetables. This water can be used as the vegetable stock for the soup.
- In a pot, heat oil, add heeng, then add onions and fry till transparent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato paste and sliced mushrooms, cook on medium flame for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the cooked vegetables alongwith the stock, add the cooked pulses, soya sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add some more water if required. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Let it boil.
- Mix the cornflour in 2 tablespoons of water and add to the boiling soup. This will give some thickness to the soup.
- Mix well. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot!!!
- You can add cooked, shredded chicken while adding cooked vegetables to the soup.
- Add red-chilly sauce while adding the sauces, if you like the soup to be hot.
- I keep changing the vegetables and pulses that i use in this soup to create a new dish each time!!!