Tomorrow is V's birthday and what's better than Chocolate cake to surprise him. I found an easy to follow recipe and was able to bake two 9" cakes :). Here's the recipe for the moist chocolate cake followed by the chocolate frosting recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (Use 2 cups sugar if using unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened cocoa powder (or use 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water (this will make the batter very thin but the cake will be very moist)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (~175C).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Take sugar in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in another large bowl; beat on medium speed of hand blender for 2 minutes.
- Add about 1/3rd of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat on low speed until all the flour is combined. Continue adding in 1/3rd of the flour mixture at a time and combine completely. Do not over-beat.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (Usually the cake is ready in 30 min, so make sure to check).
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting.
If you are using unsweetened cocoa powder, use 3/4 cup cocoa powder and 2 cups sugar.
Ingredients:- (About 2 cups frosting)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed.
- Stir in vanilla.